- Who are the Cubs?
- The Sydney University Cubs is the team entered by the Sydney University American Football Club in the Gridiron NSW Colts competition. The Cubs was one of the foundation teams of the Gridiron NSW Colts competition (then called the NSWGFL Juniors) and won the championship in the inaugural season of competition in 1994. In 17 years of competition, the Cubs have won 6 state championships – more than any other team – including the 2009 Gridiron NSW Colts championship. More information on the history of the Cubs can be found by clicking on the History link on the Cubs page. The Sydney University American Football Club is a member club of Sydney University Sport & Fitness (“SU Sport”) – the body which administers all sporting and recreational activities at Sydney University – and has been a member club since 1985. The American Football Club was awarded the John Kean Trophy as SU Sport Club of the Year for 2006. This was the third time the club had won the award. SU Sport is the most successful sporting club in Australian history, having produced more Australian representatives and won more major competitions than any other sporting club. More information on SU Sport can be found on its website at www.susport.com.
- What about all the equipment?
- The Club has all of the equipment needed to play – helmets, shoulder pads, accessory pads, jerseys and pants. The Club has a storage facility (called “the Den” and located in the carpark behind the grandstand to No 1 Oval at Sydney University) where the playing equipment is stored. Until the games start, players pick up their equipment from the Den prior to training and return it to the Den after training. Players must take care of their equipment and it must be returned in good order at the end of the season. All equipment, including playing jerseys, remains the property of the Club and must be returned. If equipment is lost or destroyed by a player, then the player will need to fund the purchase of a replacement. The Club equipment has identification numbers marked on the equipment. If these numbers become dislodged or damaged, please notify the Team Manager as soon as possible. Players are not permitted to alter or modify the equipment in any way, including removing or swapping cheek pads or chin straps on helmets, adding any stickers or decals to the helmet or removing the decals already on the helmets. The equipment is only to be modified or altered under the supervision of the Team Manager. The Lions paw decals on the helmets have been awarded to senior players and are not to be touched. The Club does not provide mouthguards or shoes. All players are required to wear a mouthguard. Many of our games this year will be played on Astroturf fields. Football boots with long studs are not suitable for Astroturf. Touch football boots or boots with small studs are suitable. If you have any concerns with particular boots or shoes, please show them to the Head Coach.
- How much does it cost to play?
- The 2017 registration fee has not yet been finalised (we don’t charge you any more than the league charges us), however in 2016 it was $250. The Club requires this registration fee to be paid before a player may commence training, as the fee includes insurance coverage and no player is allowed to train without being covered by insurance.
- What is the age limit?
- Players must have been under 19 years of age and 15 years or older on 1 January 2017 to be eligible to play for the Cubs for the 2017 season.
- Do I need any prior experience?
- No. Each year about half of the Cubs playing roster have never played the game before. The coaches start from the very beginner’s level and will teach you the skills needed to play the game.
- How do I register to play?
- To register your interest to play for the Cubs, send an email with your name, address, telephone number and date of birth to email@example.com. Formal registration involves completing a membership form which must be signed by your parent or guardian.
- When and where will training be held?
- Team activities for the 2018 season are to be confirmed.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and to join our mailing list.
- When and where are games?
- Most games will likely be played on Saturdays. The Cubs play most of their games at the St George Hockey Field, Mutch Ave, Kyeemagh, with other games at The Square, Sydney University and UWS Nepean Hockey Field, O’Connell Street, Kingswood. Maps of these fields are posted on the Contacts page. The full draw for the Gridiron NSW Colts season will soon be posted to the Gridiron NSW Table & Results link on the Cubs page and the draw for the Cubs has been posted to the Season Draw link on the Cubs page and included on the Calendar page. Gridiron NSW administers competitive gridiron in New South Wales and is a member of Gridiron Australia, the national body. There are 10 teams in the Colts (U19) Division. More information on Gridiron NSW and Gridiron Australia can be found on their websites at www.gridironnsw.org.au and www.gridironaustralia.org.au.
- Will I be covered by insurance?
- Yes. On a player registering with the Club, he joins SU Sport and becomes covered by a Personal Accident Insurance Plan 24 hours per day, 365 days per year worldwide, provided the accident occurs while undertaking SU Sport activities, such as playing for or practicing with the Cubs. The current policy is available on request.. The policy covers medical costs incurred within 12 months of the accident except those that are fully or partially recoverable from Medicare. The scheme also includes loss of employment income. To make a claim, players who are not students of Sydney Uni should complete a claim form (available from the SU Sport website at www.susf.com) and lodge it through SU Sport no later than 30 days after the date of the accident. The injured player should pay all costs, make claims against their Private Health Insurance (if any) and then forward the receipts to the SU Sport office. On registration with Gridiron NSW, a player also becomes covered under insurance provided by Gridiron Australia. Information on the coverage provided under the Gridiron Australia policy can be provided on request. A player is not able to recover under both policies but may choose to recover under the better policy. If you wish to discuss making a claim on insurance for an injury, please contact the Team Manager.